Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Week 7 Post 16 Wikis & Post 17

This was an interesting exploration of a variety of Wikis, that showed me some creative ways wikis could be used in a classroom, a library or in a business like a Visitor's Bureau or even City Government. I have used Wikipedia on many occasions and I am happy with the results. In my explorations I noticed several of the sites had not been edited in many years and that some of the links did not work. An example is in the SJCPL Subject Guide, at St. Joseph County Library one main link "Ask A Librarian" does not exist? I did like St. Joseph's links to Twitter and Facebook on the wiki.
If I was a librarian the wiki, Library Success certainly would be an excellent resource for Libraries and librarians. I was impressed with the Library Bloggers Wiki which I found to be a great resource of information. While exploring worldlibrary.org I ran across a site with free ebooks to download.
The site:
worldlibrary.net-/ebooks/giveaway/mp3
I examined the Princeton Book Lovers Wiki and found it worth looking at.

I think if I was still teaching 7th Grade I would have my class do a wiki about our town, Fairbanks, that would include everything our young people would be interested in. This would include where to shop, eat, hike, get jobs, join clubs, and classes of interest. There would be a link for reviews of books, movies, TV shows, music and anything else the class could suggest. It would be ongoing, changing and updating for the year.

For the Raven About 2.0 Wiki I added a comment using the idea of my class selecting a magazine or publication to put their picture on the cover with a small bio description which would help students get to know each other. I posted it as a guest on that Wiki with my first name, last intial and date.

No comments:

Post a Comment